Sunday, July 10, 2016

Buttermilk scones

This started out as a recipe from Ireland. But the original recipe had 9 oz of milk and that was way too little. I had to add another half of a cup of milk last time. So this time I used a total of 2 1/4 cups of buttermilk.

I used to never buy buttermilk, and would always just sour milk with vinegar instead. But I have to say that I now think that buttermilk makes better scones, and of course brown bread.

Many scone recipes tell you to brush milk over the scones. I never do. But I'm thinking it might help them brown better.

15 scones

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt and sugar. Stir in raisins.

Add butter and buttermilk. Stir with a fork until a soft dough is formed.

Drop by large spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took about 16 minutes, and it made 15 biscuits.

Very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment