Thursday, April 30, 2015

Mulligatawny Soup

The last time I made mulligatawny soup was in chef school I think. A very long time ago. Recently for some reason I can't even fathom, I started thinking about it again. So I looked it up and found some recipes. Below is what I made. It was very yummy.

Some of the recipes I found had hot peppers in them. But I don't like to use hot peppers because I don't like burning my mouth off. You may like burning your mouth off in which case, fill your boots.

And if you are a vegematic like Maude, you could always substitute a can of drained and rinsed chick peas instead of the chicken, along with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
8 (approximately) cups chicken stock (I used half no salt chicken stock and half water)
1/2 cup red lentils
salt and pepper to taste (I used about 3/4 tsp salt)
4 tsp curry powder
1 can low fat coconut milk
1 cup basmati rice
1 chicken breast (I had one cooked in the freezer and just threw it in. But it could be raw as it will cook with the rest of the soup.)
1 raw unpeeled apple, chopped fine

Fry the celery, carrots, onion in oil at a low heat until the onion is translucent. Stir in the curry powder to blend and cook for a minute. Pour in the stock, add the lentils and chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Remove chicken and chop or shred and put back into soup.

While the soup is simmering, put rice in. Add the chopped apple. Simmer about another 15 minutes or so until rice is cooked.

The lentils kind of disintegrate and thicken the soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment